This is a foundational program in the basics of intentional helping and interviewing. The program is termed as “Helping Skills” (as oppose to counselling skills) to avoid any confusion with the profession of Counsellors or Counselling Psychologists, who need to be licensed and registered with the Counselling Board of Malaysia. This training program does not make participants Counsellors. It does however equip them with the necessary mindset and skills to have effective, empathetic and relevant conversations associated with work and career transitions.
For training purposes and future references, we suggest that participants upon completion of this training, be identified as the Career Guides, to avoid the above mentioned confusion.
The program emphasizes on integrating basic psychological knowledge in the learning experience as well as helping participants master the basic and advanced micro-skills involved in the helping process. Participants will also be taught how to use the structure of a well-formed interview with the micro-skills, some theories and techniques of career counselling as well as how to us psychometric testing as part of their career conversations. Mastery of these processes will enable the participants to help guide people into generating new ideas that lead to resolution of their personal and career issues.
- To expose participants to some basic psychological knowledge related to human development and human interaction.
- To help participants deepen and sharpen their skills for more effective career conversations
- To help participants understand the psychological and career development and counselling frameworks
- To identify issues pertaining to career related challenges and explore possible approaches for solution.
At the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Develop a deeper understanding of themselves and the dynamics of interpersonal relationships.
- Have effective career conversations based on certain predetermined psychometric tests
- Identify and demonstrate mastery of the basic micro-skills in the career counselling interview.
- Apply the structure of a counselling interview in a helping relationship.
- Demonstrate these skills when relating with people in their families or workplace due to a better understanding of themselves and others.
For more information on how we can customize these courses for your organisation’s needs, please contact us at :
CAREERsense@HELP , The Faculty of Behavioral Sciences
Wisma HELP, Jalan Dungun, Kuala Lumpur